Thursday, August 25, 2005

What the 'frag'?


Deep, in a damp, dark basement, a solitary, wide-eyed adolescent boy sits in front of a glaring monitor. He is in the zone. Bags of potato chips are strewn all over the floor and empty cans of soda have created a fortress around his desk. This used to be the typical online gamer. Although these people (heh...I'm probably one of them) still exist, online gaming is becoming more publicly recognized and embraced. Old, young, male, female; a wide spectrum is now engaged in the gaming community.

Well, with every good thing also comes the bad. Obviously people become addicted, people die and communists lay down the law. Don't believe me? Check it out. China is attempting to impose a system to control the amount of time spent by it's 'proletariates'...read all about it! On a grim note, one man died after a 50-hour gaming marathon, and even worse, a couple became so engaged in a 'bout of World of Warcraft that their 4-month old child died due to their neglect.

Where can the boundary be drawn? Moderation in all things. It is a difficult concept to grasp when you are addicted to something. That's why an addiction needs to be realized before it's full-blown. I personally love my video games (yea, I'm a poor player too), but I can always pull myself back to reality. My take on this whole situation? Keep on 'exploring the realms', keep 'fragging'...but for the love of God, don't lose your grip on reality!

2 Comments:

At 8/25/2005 11:42 PM, Blogger Paul J. Heidema said...

I used to be obsessed with games like World of Warcraft and Halo 2. I understand the need to drop everything and destroy many areas of enemies. "They all must die!" Now I am obsessed with blogging and commenting on blogs. Oh well, give up one vice for another. Ah the futility of it all.

 
At 8/26/2005 1:02 AM, Blogger faranv said...

True, true. Halo 2 rocks. Blogging socks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home