Sunday, April 10, 2005

Downtown London Adventure: Pt. 1

Well, I work at Hakim Optical full-time now, seeing as how I really don't have much to do during the day. So, they put me downtown, at King and Clarence. It's pretty cool, because I get to go to the Covent Garden Market everyday for lunch, I see lots of people I know and it's not too far of a commute. It's fun! Now, along with this fun comes the CRAAAAZINESS of working downtown. Let me explain my day today. In the morning this guy, mean looking Greek guy comes in and starts talking to me, telling me he has no money to go to Toronto, trying to sell me his thermos, showing me his busted up hand (he got into a fight) and explaining how he wants to re-connect with his children because he was away for so long (prison). Anyway, as he is talking, another fishy looking man darts into the store, walks around for a few minutes and quickly runs out. Then the Greek guy left. Ok, a couple hours later, Greek guy comes back, yelling, screaming, swearing (customers are in the store) that some guy stole his wallet and he wants to "ram a knife down the guy's throat". Then he tells me the 'fishy guy' stole some of my glasses, and he'll take care of him too. Then he swore and left to go "stick the %$^(@!$". Ok, so I brush it all off, and leave the store to go to work. As I'm crossing the street, a car hits a young boy (walking with his father) in front of me. The boy was okay, but the guy got out of the car and he started fighting with the father (in the middle of the street). Then, I look to my left, and some boy is running (not older than 11 years old), and there's a cop chasing him. Cop catches him, pats him down, and throws him into the cruiser. It was a session of Grand Theft Auto witnessed in real life.

Yes, typical day at Hakim Optical in downtown London. Exciting and intense...it keeps me on my toes. What I don't like about the job is the customers. Most of them are very rude and want much more than they are entitled to. Now, 95% of the customers are people on welfare, and I have absolutely no problem with them. What I do have a problem with is people who lie to me and try to 'scam' me. Not going to happen while I'm working there! But, working in this environment is giving me a new outlook on people who are less fortunate...or down on their luck. My take on them? Next time!

2 Comments:

At 4/14/2005 5:37 PM, Blogger Erfan said...

Wow...that is really one crazy day! Jeez Faran!! You are truly lucky to still be alive you know! And you could have SOO easily been mugged or something...you know...

 
At 4/15/2005 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. . why didn't u get in there and kick some butt. I guess you're in the shadier parts of london. . well look both ways be4 u cross the street. laters

Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home